Anika Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ANIK) is seeking a Senior Counsel to support its rapidly growing business. Anika develops, produces, markets and sells minimally invasive products that restore active living for people around the world, with a primary focus on osteoarthritis pain management, regenerative solutions, soft tissue repair and bone preserving joint technologies.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative and seasoned commercial attorney who has a proven track record of being successful and valued working as a partner with business clients in an in-house setting in a publicly traded medical device or biotech company. The candidate must be able to work independently but collaboratively within a fast-paced, high-performance environment, providing legal advice and guidance related to a wide range of commercial contracts and engagements (Sales and Marketing, Operations and Manufacturing, QA/RA/Clinical, Medical Education, etc.), employment/human resources issues, M&A and licensing activities and other business matters, both within the United States and abroad. The role will also support other business needs, public-company requirements, large-scale special projects and healthcare compliance related activities, as needed. The Senior Counsel will report directly to the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary and function as a key member of Anika’s Legal Team at the company’s global headquarters in Bedford, Massachusetts.
To be successful, the individual in this role will need to closely collaborate with various internal business partners to ensure an in-depth understanding of their needs and to foster a trusted partnership around legal matters. The Senior Counsel must have a well-developed business acumen and the ability to combine their business judgement and legal experience to help find innovative solutions to problems, while strengthening strategic partnerships. They must truly enjoy working as a part of a team.
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Responsible for providing solutions and business-oriented legal advice, support, counsel, representation and services to all functional areas of the company, including Sales, Marketing, Operations, HR, QA/RA, Clinical, R&D, Finance, etc.
- Work closely with the business teams and Senior Management to understand the strategic objectives and needs of the company in order to assist in growing the company’s global business.
- Draft, review, negotiate and provide guidance on a wide variety of agreements and documents including complex commercial transactions, M&A and licensing transactions, sales/purchase agreements, RFPs and competitive bids, supply agreements, clinical trial and research agreements, distributor/dealer agreements, and contractor terms ensuring that both legal and business objectives are met.
- Work with colleagues to continuously improve contract structure and processes as well as implementation and adherence to best practices within both the Legal Department and the company.
- Advise business units and provide training on legal issues, including antitrust, unfair competition, contracting, and other business-related compliance issues such as those related specifically to medical device/life science companies operating globally.
- Periodically and proactively assess legal and compliance risk exposures for the business, and develop and implement risk mitigation initiatives including procedures, policies, and forms development.
- Support compliance activities, including government compliance, mandatory disclosure obligations, employee misconduct investigations and implementation of appropriate remedial measures.
- Support and interact with business leaders on acquisitions and other strategic investment opportunities, including structuring and negotiating deals, and coordinating and undertaking due diligence.
Job Complexity and Requirements:
- The Senior Counsel will work on assignments that are complex in nature and will need to apply legal knowledge and sound business judgment where considerable initiative is required in resolving problems, making recommendations, and preparing deliverables.
- The Senior Counsel will work to optimize resource deployment and increase organizational efficiency, while promoting internal collaboration and deliberate action.
- The Senior Counsel will need to understand Anika’s larger business initiatives and provide recommendations and deliverables that align with the company’s strategies and goals.
- Anika maintains offices and conducts product development and manufacturing activities in Massachusetts, Florida and Italy, so occasional domestic or foreign travel may be necessary.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, currently in good standing with a state Bar association, plus 8+ years of broad-based legal experience in relevant areas such as commercial contracting, manufacturing and supply chain, mergers and acquisitions, employment/human resources, compliance and transactional work.
- Experience in both a major law firm and in-house in a corporate legal department, ideally with a medical device or biotech company.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, corporate/in-house environment and juggle competing priorities while remaining a valued and respected member of business teams.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Well-developed business acumen and the ability to leverage their business judgment and exceptional legal skills to help close important business deals and establish or strengthen strategic partnerships.
- Ability to influence and lead at all levels of the company.
- Proven experience solving both practical and multi-variable problems and challenges.
- Expertise in negotiating and drafting all types of agreements and negotiating to resolution difficult or unique issues.
- Excellent intrapersonal and communication skills.
- Highest standards of integrity and good judgment.
- A self-starter who thrives when presented with challenges, is very productive and has the motivation to assume increasing and significant responsibility.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected, as is the ability to develop strong relationships with internal clients.
- Ability to travel on occasion.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not tolerate discrimination based on characteristics such as age, gender, gender identity and expression, genetic status, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, military status, family status, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.