Osteoarthritis Pain Management
Orthovisc: A High Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid Injection
Orthovisc® is an ultra-pure, high molecular weight injectable hyaluronic acid (HA) viscosupplement used to treat joint pain caused by osteoarthritis. It is comprised of highly purified sodium hyaluronate (NaHA) in physiologic saline, making it both biocompatible and resorbable.
Orthovisc provides up to 6 months of efficacy with only 3 to 4 injections.1,2 This is partially based on the product’s delivery of one of the highest concentrations of HA (15 mg/mL) currently available in a multi-injection treatment.3
Key Features & Benefits:
- Reduction in joint pain and improvement in functionality1,2
- Long-lasting results through 26 weeks1
- No confirmed pseudoseptic reactions reported3
- Natural, non-animal sourced HA
Orthovisc is indicated for the treatment of osteoarthritis pain in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and to simple analgesics. In the United States and Canada, Orthovisc is approved solely for use in the knee.
For complete product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, and precautions, please refer to the Instructions for Use found here.
In the European Economic Area and other parts of the world, Orthovisc is indicated as a viscoelastic supplement or a replacement for synovial fluid in human joints. Orthovisc is well suited for treatment of the symptoms of human synovial joint dysfunctions such as osteoarthritis. The actions of Orthovisc are lubrication and mechanical support.
For complete product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, and precautions, please refer to the Instructions for Use provided with the product or Contact Us for a copy.
Anika products may not be available in all geographies. Product availability is subject to the regulatory clearances in individual markets. Please reach out to your local representative or Contact Us if you have questions about specific market approvals.
View More Products
Single-injection hyaluronic acid (HA) viscosupplement
Single-injection combination hyaluronic acid (HA) plus steroid treatment for osteoarthritis pain (not approved in the U.S.)
Multi-injection hyaluronic acid (HA) viscosupplement for small joints (not approved in the U.S.)
- Brandt KD, Block JA, Michalski JP, Moreland LW, Caldwell JR, Lavin PT. Efficacy and safety of intra-articular sodium hyaluronate in knee osteoarthritis. ORTHOVISC Study Group. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001; (385):130 – 43.
- Neustadt D, Caldwell J, Bell M, Wade J, and Gimbel J. Clinical effects of intraarticular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan (ORTHOVISC) in osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized, controlled, multicenter trial. J. Rheumatology 2005; (32): 1928-36.
- Anika data on file.