Patellofemoral Arthroplasty System
Patellofemoral (PF) Implant Systems (PF HemiCAP Classic, PF Wave & WaveKahuna)
Anika’s Patellofemoral Arthroplasty Systems are designed to restore the native shape of the Patella and Femoral Trochlea Groove while preserving native joint anatomy. This creates a congruent pathway by using an intraoperative 3-dimensional mapping system with anatomically designed implants.
The PF HemiCAP® Classic, PF Wave® & WaveKahuna® are available in 3 different sizes, with 29 trochlear convexities and 12 different patellas, making it the most versatile PF arthroplasty system. The PF Classic System is indicated for isolated and contained lesions of the trochlear groove and patella. The PF Wave and WaveKahuna Arthroplasty Systems are indicated for those patients with more diffuse and/or extensive damage to their PF joint and can be used to treat a variety of patellofemoral pathology including:
- Isolated PF Arthrosis and Arthritis
- PF Malalignment
- PF Instability
Both the trochlea and patella implants are designed as inlay implants in order to maintain and restore congruency in the PF joint, which is very important for proper patella tracking.
A recent study showed, “None of the patients in the inlay group showed progression of tibiofemoral OA. In contrast, the onlay group showed significant progression… with 53% of the patients showing progression of medial and/or lateral tibiofemoral OA.” This was followed by a study at 5 years with the same results, “At 5-year follow-up…no significant progression of tibiofemoral OA was observed.”1
Key Features & Benefits:
- Preserves native anatomy and can be performed in conjunction with soft tissue alignments and/or on dysplastic femurs
- Multiple anatomic inlay trochlea and patella implants provide an off-the-shelf custom fit
- Inlay components preserve the joint by only removing a small amount of bone, maintaining future options; “No Bridges Burned”
- Components are connected via morse taper
- Minimally invasive procedure can be performed as an outpatient procedure with this simple, intuitive, and reproducible technique that leaves supporting tissues intact and maintains proprioception
- No activity restrictions following recovery
PF Wave and WaveKahuna are marketed and sold under the trademarks PFXL and PF Kahuna in the EU and UK
Anika products may not be available in all geographies. Product availability is subject to the regulatory clearances in individual markets. Please reach out to your local representative or Contact Us if you have questions about specific market approvals.
For complete product information, including indications, contraindications, warnings, and precautions, please refer to the Instructions for Use found here.
- Feucht MJ, Cotic M, Beitzel K, Baldini JF, Meidinger G, Schöttle PB, Imhoff AB. A matched-pair comparison of inlay and onlay trochlear designs for patellofemoral arthroplasty: no differences in clinical outcome but less progression of osteoarthritis with inlay designs. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017 Sep;25(9):2784-2791. doi: 10.1007/s00167-015-3733-2. Epub 2015 Aug 1. PMID: 26231153.
- KSSTA study